From: John Bennett
Sent: Tuesday, January 5, 2016 12:01 PM
To: Allen, Jessica L. EOP/WHO
Cc: Velz, Peter T. EOP/WHO
Subject: pool report #1
Greetings from Washington on a very cold Tuesday morning. Reporters gathered outside in heavy coats, gloves, scarves and wool caps, chitchatting about the sudden appearance of winter in your nation’s capital. Reporters and photographers were escorted into a jam-packed East Room. Mark Barden, managing director of Sandy Hook Promise, introduced President Obama and Vice President Biden. Barden’s son, Daniel, was killed in the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School on Dec. 14, 2012.
This is the second time Barden has introduced Obama, also doing so in the Rose Garden in 2013 after Congress did not pass legislation offered by Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) and Pat Toomey (R-Pa.). More on Baden’s work since the Sandy Hook shooting, per the White House: “Mark has dedicated his life to bringing people together around sensible solutions that will help prevent future tragedies.”
At the top of his remarks, POTUS went off script, recognizing Mark Kelly, the husband of former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who was shot in January 2011 in Tucson. Obama chuckled as he noted he told Kelly to take the call on his mobile phone if his identical twin brother, NASA astronaut Scott Kelly, calls from his mission in outer space.
The president's remarks are open press.
Joining Obama and Biden on the stage, per the White House:
· Cleopatra Cowley-Pendleton, Mother of Hadiya Pendleton who was killed a week after performing at the President’s second inauguration
· Nathaniel Pendleton, Sr., Father of Hadiya Pendleton who was killed a week after performing at the President’s second inauguration
· Jennifer Pinckney, Wife of Reverend Clementa Pinckney who was killed in the 2015 Charleston church shooting
· Peter Read, Retired Air Force Lieutenant Colonel and father of Mary Read who was killed in the 2007 Virginia Tech shooting
· Emily Landers, Victim of a robber’s bullet that left her partially paralyzed at the age of 21 and member of MoveOn’s “Gun Owners for Gun Control”
· David Taylor, Retired Army Officer and member of MoveOn’s “Gun Owners for Gun Control”
· Richard Martinez, Senior Research Associate for Everytown for Gun Safety and father of Christopher Michael-Martinez who was killed in the 2014 Isla Vista killings
· Mandeep Kaur, Survivor of the 2012 Wisconsin Sikh temple shooting
· Lucy McBath, National Spokesperson for Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America and mother of Jordan Davis who was killed while sitting in the back seat of a car in November 2013
· Carolyn Tuft, Gun violence prevention advocate and mother of Kristin Hinckley who was killed in the 2007 Trolley Square shooting
· Jennifer Longdon, Victim of a November 2004 shooting at a drive-thru
· Jimmy Greene, Father of Ana Grace who was killed in the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting
· Daniel Hernandez, Jr., Intern who is credited with helping to save Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords’ life after the 2011 Tucson shooting
John T. Bennett | White House Reporter | CQ Roll Call
firstname.lastname@example.org | @bennettjohnt - Twitter
This e-mail may contain confidential material. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete all copies. It may also contain personal views which are not the views of CQ Roll Call or its owner, The Economist Group. We may monitor e-mail to and from our network. For company information go to >http://legal.economistgroup.com<.