From: Franco Ordonez [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
Sent: Wednesday, October 5, 2016 12:11 PM
To: Allen, Jessica L. EOP/WHO
Subject: Pool Report 2
President Obama met with representatives of FEMA, National Guard, DHS,
among others on what Obama described as the “devastating” hurricane
that is barreling toward Florida and has already “hammered.”
The meeting lasted 20 minutes before pool was allowed in the briefing
room for a 5 minute update. A full list of the participants are below.
Check quotes with transcript.
The powerful category storm, Matthew, blamed for 11 deaths already, is
expected to reach the US this weekend and has been reported as the
most powerful storm to hit the region in almost a decade.
Obama said the storm which has already “hammered” Haiti could pick up
strength as it travels toward the U.S. He said Florida could start
feeling effects tomorrow.
”Everyone needs to pay attention” Obama said, and urged citizens
living in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina to
listen closely to their local and state leaders and evacuate if asked.
Obama said families can rebuild and repair, but “you cannot restore
life it is lost.”
“I want to emphasize to the public this is a serious storm,” Obama said.
“We hope for the best, but we want to prepare for the worst,” Obama said.
Obama noted that FEMA director William Craig Fúgate is from Florida
and has family in the storms path.
None of the other participants spoke to the pool. Here is full list of
· Jeh Johnson, Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security
· Valerie Jarrett, Assistant to the President and Senior Advisor
· Lisa Monaco, Assistant to the President for Homeland
Security and Counterterrorism
· John Holdren, Assistant to the President for Science and Technology
· Craig Fugate, Administrator, Federal Emergency Management Agency
· Kathy Sullivan, Administrator, National Oceanic and
· Rick Knabb, Director, National Hurricane Center (via VTC)
· General Joseph L. Lengyel, Chief of the National Guard Bureau
· Lieutenant General Todd T. Semonite, Commanding General and
Chief of Engineers, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
· Amy Pope, Deputy Homeland Security Advisor, National Security Council
· Peter Gautier, Senior Director for Response Policy, National
· Scott Nathan, Associate Director, General Government
Programs, Office of Management and Budget
· Paul Ford, Deputy Regional Administrator for FEMA Region I,
New England (via VTC)
· Jerome Hatfield, Regional Administrator for FEMA Region II,
New York, New Jersey, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Territory
of the United States Virgin Islands and the Native American Tribes in
the Region (via VTC)
· MaryAnn Tierney, Regional Administrator for FEMA Region
III, Mid-Atlantic (via VTC)
· Gracia B. Szczech, Regional Administrator for FEMA Region
IV, Southeast (via VTC)
Sent from my iPhone