From: Lee, Carol
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 5:15 PM
To: Goodman, Meghan K. EOP/OVP
Subject: VPOTUS pool report #1 - 1/19/16
January 19, 2016
Vice President Biden is hosting a roundtable discussion about his cancer initiative.
Around 4:45pm local VPOTUS entered a room at conference center where the World Economic Forum is being held. He walked in with NIH Director Francis Collins and Klaus Schwab, founder of the World Economic Forum., who introduced Mr. Biden. Before that, Mr. Biden walked around the table to greet the roundtable participants. One of them, Bill McDermott, the CEO of SAP, handed Mr. Biden a book as they shook hands. Apparently it's one about Mr. McDermott's life story.
Mr. Biden was about 45 minutes late, which he said was because his motorcade got stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic. He said he is "embarrassed, sorry and flattered people stuck around to wait for him.
VPOTUS opened up the session with some remarks, which are ongoing but here's some quotes. Will send another pool report with other useful tidbits after the session ends unless something newsy happens during.
"When I decided not to seek the nomination of my party, the president and I walked out into the Rose Garden to make the announcement, and I said, and it was almost spontaneous, that had I run I would have liked to be the president who really changed the face of cancer."
"I was absolutely dumbfounded by the international reaction. I literally heard from thousands of people," including dozens of philanthropists, cancer institutions in the U.S. and abroad, thousands of cancer survivors, medical professionals and others. He said when he goes to his hometown of Wilmington to pick up groceries people line up to tell him their stories about cancer. He said he's not naive to believe he can do this by himself, but sees his role as convening different stakeholders together.
"We are at an inflection point" in the fight against cancer. "Just in the past few years we've seen some major advances in technology and science."
About 100 people are seated in the audience. There are 10 officials seated at a C-shaped table in the front of the room, with VPOTUS in the middle.
Roundtable participants, per VP office:
* Secretary Sylvia Burwell, Department of Health and Human Services
* Dr. Francis Collins, Director of NIH
* Jennifer Doudna, Li Ka Shing Chancellor's Chair in Biomedical and Health Sciences, University of California, Berkeley
* Paula Hammond, Head of the Department of Chemical Engineering and David H. Koch Chair Professor in Engineering at MIT
* Elizabeth Blackburn, Nobel Laureate and President of the Salk Institute of Biological Sciences
* David Agus, Professor of Medicine and Engineering at the University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine and Viterbi School of Engineering, Head of USC's Westside Cancer Center and the Center for Applied Molecular Medicine
* Charles Sawyer, Chairman, Human Oncology, Sloan Kettering
* Jose Baselga, Physician in Chief and Chief Medical Officer, Sloan Kettering
* Toby Cosgrove, Chairman and CEO Cleveland Clinic
* Bill McDermott, CEO SAP, Germany
The Wall Street Journal