From: Steve Clemons
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2017 02:57
To: Goodman, Meghan Hays K. EOP/OVP
Subject: VPOTUS pool report 3a - Kiev
At 7:45am Vice President Biden's motorcade arrived at the Cabinet of Ministers' Club in central Kiev.
Your pool was ushered in to an elegant building with neoclassical interior along with approximately 80 other Ukrainian journalists. There appears to be huge national interest here in Vice President Biden's meetings.
A crowd of approximately 150 to 200 was lined up outside the club across the street and blocked by security police. Many people were holding banners protesting corruption in government. (Will send on a pic of the protestors as an addendum to this report).
Your pool asked one of the leaders of the protests, Aleksandr Melnichuk, what he and his associates were protesting. He said "we are protesting the corrupt actions of our government in destroying healthy oil companies. The government is taking the companies to steal their assets and are destroying thousands of jobs."
At about 8:30am Vice President Biden emerged from a back side door with Ukraine Prime Minister Volodymyr Groysman. They shook hands before the American and Ukrainian flags.
The leaders joined a horseshoe table set up with their respective delegations.
The US delegation meeting the team of Ukraine Prime Minister Groysman:
- T.H. Marie Yovanovitch, Ambassador of the US to Ukraine
- T.H. Colin Kahl, Deputy Assistant to the President and National Security Advisor to the Vice President
- T.H. Victoria Nuland, Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs
- T.H. Amos Hochstein, Special Envoy and Coordinator for International Energy Affairs, Department of State
- Ms. Kate Bedingfield, Deputy Assistant to the President and Director of Communications to the Vice President
- Dr. Charles Kupchan, Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for European Affairs, National Security Council
- Mr. Mike Carpenter, Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Russia, Ukraine, Eurasia, Western Balkans, and Conventional Arms Control
- Ms. Anna Makanju, Special Advisor to the Vice President for Europe and Eurasia
- Ms. Christina Segal-Knowles, Special Assistant to the President for International Economics
- Mr. Greg Pfleger, Director for Eastern Europe, National Security Council (note-taker)
And then the journalists, cameras and your pool were ushered out.
Your pool then waited outside the dramatic and ornately adorned mansion, "House of Chimeras" at 10 Bankova Street. There at 9:15am VIce President Biden's motorcade, having driven two blocks, arrived and the VP shook hands for a moment in the biting cold air with Ukraine President Petro Poroshenko. The President of Ukraine and Vice President of the United States (for four more days) walked up the entry stairs and in to the House of Chimeras. A good resource on the history and eccentricity of this landmark mansion is here: http://primetour.ua/en/excursions/kiev/Ekskursiya-v--Dom-s-himerami-.html
Washington Editor at Large, The Atlantic
Sent from my iPhone