Sent from my iPhone
Begin forwarded message:
From: "Jaffe, Greg" >
Date: April 24, 2016 at 3:36:44 PM GMT+2
To: "Allen, Jessica" >
Subject: white house travel poor report #4. Welcome ceremony and pool spray
President Obama and Chancellor Merkel walked out of a large classical-looking building towards a German military and some German troops in formation. They stood on a small red platform as the band played the US national anthem at around 3:10. Obama, dressed in a dark suit, placed his hand over his heart. Merkel who was wearing dark pants and a bright yellow-green jacket stood next to the president.
The German naitonal anthem came next. Then the band broke into a peppy marching tune and Obama and Merkel reviewed the troops -- a mix of German soldiers and sailors. They headed back to the building for their bilat, climbing a set of stairs and waving to the crowd below.
At the pool spray Obama and Merkel sat side-by side in a small room. Behind them were German and American flags. They didn't speak. Susan Rice sat to Obama's right.
The US delegation included:
1. T.H. Susan Rice, National Security Advisor
2. T.H. Penny Pritzker, Secretary of Commerce
3. T.H. Michael Froman, United States Trade Representative
4. T.H. John Emerson, United States Ambassador to Germany
5. T.H. Benjamin Rhodes, Deputy National Security Advisor for Strategic Communications and Speechwriting
6. T.H Toria Nuland, Assistant Secretary of State for European Affairs
7. T.H. Wally Adeyemo, Deputy National Security Advisor for International Economics
8. T.H. Charles Kupchan, Senior Director for European Affairs